Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Celebrating 30 years


We were married in 1978 so this year is our 30 year anniversary. For many years we have been talking with three other couples our great friends and monthly dinner group for over 25 years from northern Utah and thought we would all take a cruise this, our 30th year of marriage. As it turned out only one couple was able to go with us, but it was my best friend Louise Stromberg and her husband, Marc. What fun we had as we cruised the Mexico Rivera. The Youngs and the Gardners really missed out. Great thanks to Marc and Louise, they kept everything very lively and fun. We left from San Pedro for the first cruise for Steve and I, but the sixth one for Marc and Louise, it was great to be with someone who had done everything many times before
.
Getting settled in was just the beginning of a wonderful week. The first two and one half days were on the ocean (my first time at sea) before our first stop. Neither of us got motion sickness at all, though walking down the halls I hit into the wall a few times as the boat rocked. For those two days we had a good time in the sun and playing cards, and getting to know our way around this sixteen level ship.

Picture before one of the shows began. The shows and entertainment were good. I enjoyed the comedians as much as anything. Karaoke was also a hit with me. I was a judge one of the Karaoke nights.
The first formal dinner. It was fun to get dressed up. Steve didn't like it much and took his jacket off as soon as he could.
Another night at dinner. Steve enjoyed all the exotic things, escargot (snails) I tasted them too, frog-legs, pheasant, duck, Cornish hens, lobster a well as steak and other wonderful meals. I enjoyed the crab, salmon and halibut most of all.

Our first port was in Mazatlan where we went on a Pirates excursion. They took us on a Pirate ship to a private beach. It was a blast! Such cute pirates that took us kayaking, banana boat riding, swimming in the ocean as well as playing volleyball on the beach. All the drinks and music we could handle.

Louise and I went dancing with the Pirates. Louise won the dancing competition. I took third. I am in the turquoise and brown swim suit, Louise in the Brown cover up.

You can see the pirate ship in the back gound but the sails are not up.

This is us watching the fun sword fighting and other shows put on by the pirates.

Boarding the pirates ship.

Our second stop was Port of Vallarta. Because of Steve hurt hand (he got it playing volleyball with the pirates in Mazatlan) he wasn't able to zip on the lines with us in Mazatlan. It sure was an amazing ride over the top of the jungle trees and water.

This was the military jeep they took us on to the top of the jungle mountain. It looks like the jeeps in the movies when they kidnap little kids to join the army. Don't you agree?

Our friend Marc standing in front of an elephant tree. The last Zip line ended in one of these big trees and we had to repel down. It was a rush!

Away I go on the first of nine zip lines until we stopped at the bottom of the mountain. You had to control all the braking etc. One young women in front of me was so scared and would go so slow she wouldn't make it to the other side and would have to hand over hand to get to the end of the line.

Marc, Louise and I ready to go.

Steve's hurt hand after playing volleyball with the pirates in Mazatlan. We thought it was broken. Had it x-rayed on the ship. It still is bothering him some today.

When we went into port at Cabo San Lucas to get Steve some pain medication for his hurt hand, this gentleman said I could have a picture with his snake for $1.00 so I just took a picture of him. I did purchase some nice jewelry from a little kid on the street for $10.00.

Beautiful tropical mountains in Cabo, we had terrific weather the whole week we were at sea.

After leaving Cabo it was our last night on the cruise and the chefs came out, all the food was amazing.
Baked Alaska was one of the desserts the last night. My favorite food of the whole trip was all the wonderful desserts we got to choose each night. But, thanks to working out on the ship each day with Marc and Louise, I only gained about 1 pound. I was shocked.

Our last evening on the ship we were leaving Cabo San Lucas.

In Cabo San Lucas they build the home right into the mountains. We had to get gifts for the grandsons here, especially because everything had "Lucas" printed on it. I think Lucas will get a kick out of that.


After our plane landed in Vegas and we were traveling home on Saturday evening I asked Steve if he would ever want to cruise again. He said "Not anytime soon". But for me......I would go again in a minute. It was so good to forget about work, responsibilities, no cleaning, no cooking and every other minutes someone asking, "Can I get you anything." I was in Heaven!!! Would love you all to come with us when we go again. My plan is next year! Want to come too?

3 comments:

Denise said...

So glad you had so much fun! Troy isn't a fan of cruises either. We should go without the boys!

The Perkins said...

Cruises really are the best. I'm so glad you guys got to go, YAY to 30 years!!
It looks like you had a blast, it was fun reading it and hearing about it in person:).

Kimber said...

Happy 30th! What a fun way to celebrate :)