I love being home, I have been in Atlanta all week for training with the CDC and am headed out of town again in a week.
I asked Steve if he wanted to go out on a date tonight, since he has been home all week while I have been gone. I was relieved when he didn't really sound all that enthused to go anywhere.
While sound asleep the third night in the Hotel in Atlanta the fire alarm went off at 2:52 a.m......I was at this training conference with over 1800 others who all "do" emergency preparedness as part of their jobs. I slipped on my shoes, grabbed my purse and headed to the stairwell in my pajamas....I was on the 25th floor so I knew it was going to be a little hike down, but had "practiced them" as a workout the day before. I had taken the advice of Amanda Ripley

in her book "The Unthinkable" where she teaches how important it is to have your large muscles learn the escape route because in the panic of the emergency you sometimes forget what to do but the large muscles will "remember" for you.
As I stood on the balcony no one else was leaving their room I was walking towards the stairs, covering my ears, then in a couple of seconds they announced it was a false alarm and apologized for it.
I wondered where all the other 1800 preparedness people were? I looked around no one in site. I am glad it wasn't "real" or I would have had to knock on doors to get people up and moving. How could they sleep through this alarm? It was so loud!
Where was the emergency spirit? As I asked around about the alram the next day, many people said they heard it but was waiting for something more before they were going to get out of bed.
Here is a picture looking up at the sky from the atrium at the center of the hotel to the balconies. It has 47 floors total in the hotel. Just to let you see, I would have been able to see anyone if they came out of their rooms on any of the floors during the alarm. Don't take me wrong I am glad it wasn't real.Mom gets home tonight, she has been gone all week to visit Troy and his family in Virginia, so I know if will be a great reunion for her with Dad and she will be glad to be home.
It is also so great to sleep in your own bed and with your own pillow!! I hope you have a good night sleep in your own comfortable bed tonight with the one you love too. Sleep tight.

1 comment:
how ironic...but...you are so good about following your training, and preparing, and doing what's right.
Such a good example to me Paulette!
Post a Comment