Chemical
or
Biological
Radiological
Agents
When they said after 5 days of training we would be doing an exercise with 3 different chemicals....phosgene, Nerve agent VX and Nerve agent GB....I thought they meant it would be an re-enact
ment of that type of exposure but NO it was the real thing. I knew from other public health trainings that an exposure to just a pin head of nerve agents causes almost instant death so I was a little concerned. They kept telling us that they had never had anyone die. But for some reason it wasn't too reassuring for me. They had us smell what nerve agent smells like "banana laughy taffy" just incase we had a hole in our suit or mask. All during the exercise I kept wondering....do I smell banana candy? Of course it was all in my mind. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH...... is an understatement, as didn't think I would be able to make it for sure, but I did and glad I never have to do this emergency response for real. I really appreciate the people who res
pond to terrorist or accidental release of these agents in real life. Being decontaminated...naked in front of others in our group brought back nightmares of seventh grade P.E. showers (how did we every survive!!)

1 comment:
Paulette, that would be scary and creepy. I'm glad all went well and that you lived to tell the tale! It sounds a mite foolhardy to test with real nerve agents!
Post a Comment